Background

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Lyme in the Spotlight... Homefront news

I've been happy to see some video segments done about Lyme disease on places like Fox News last weekend:

 http://video.foxnews.com/v/2584466440001/living-with-lyme-disease/?playlist_id=930909749001

I enjoyed that it was true facts, just wish it were longer.

As for myself on the homefront, well things are up and down as usual. It is nice to be home with my little family again Some days I'm able be up walking around taking care of Ethan and doing laundry, maybe sweep the floor or do the dishes, either way, I have to remind myself to rest in between each chore. My competetive edge gets me almost every time though and I always try to push myself too much and pay for it later. It's like a never ending lesson in learning how to slow down after living so many years going a million miles an hour. My sister has been here this week, she has been a true angel cleaning, unpacking the last of our boxes, and getting everything organized for us. Ethan is stuck on watching Mythbusters at the kitchen table all day now, which I'm not happy about, I want him to play and move, but as most days are still spent in bed, it's hard for me to keep tabs on him all of the time. He has been able to play with cousins every couple of days and that has been great for him. I'm glad we live close to family.

Last week I had Jordon bring my bike out and told him I wanted to take it for a short ride to see how I handle things. I keep hoping I can slowly work back into strengthening my cardiac, lungs, and leg muscles. He was really worried, but he pumped my tires and held the back of the bike as if I was a child helping me until I got my balance back, I rode down our street slowly and then back. I was very short of breath and knew I should stop, but of course my stubborn side was saying "no, keep going!", but I stopped and said to my husband who was waiting for me "one small step at a time right?" I haven't gotten back on my bike since, but hope to again soon.

Yesterday was a day I felt locked in my body like it was a prison, it just wouldn't move and my brain wasn't working right (brain fog). When that happens, I can't read books, if I watch movies, they have to be ones I've seen before so I don't have to think so hard and focus so hard on them.

Since my picc line, taking showers and baths are harder, I tend to go days without one (I know, ewww), mostly because I'm still too tired and it takes too much effort. I have to suran wrap up my arm and tape it up good and then keep my arm up and out of the way of the water while I wash one handed. I prefer the help of my husband, but by the time he gets home at night, I'm usually spent and have no energy to take a shower.

I've been learning more about Glutathione and what it is, and what it does in the body, especially since it's my medication that literally keeps me going. I also found out recently that I have a gene mutation that in short terms means my body underproduces glutathione on it's own (yes, your body produces glutathione in the liver, it's like the mother of all antioxidants and helps cleanse the liver and other organs of toxins), apparently my body underproduces, which explains why I'm still having to give myself IV glutatihone in my picc line every 2-3 days 7 months into treatment to keep my body stable. I'm on a supplement that is supposed to help the body produce glut, but so far nothing. So the next step will be to "explore genetic testing for other detox abnormalities" as stated by my doc.... still not sure what that means yet, but I will learn more soon. Either way, life is still difficult, there are days when I wonder to my heavenly father "why does life have to be so darn hard?!" and other days when I am able to brush it off and put one foot in front of the other, taking things one very small painful step at a time, reminding myself that life is a journey of learning and of being perfected and polished. I guess I have alot of polishing to be done...


No comments:

Post a Comment