Background

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Migraines... How I Loathe Thee...

         Anyone who suffers from Migraines, can attest to this post. Migraines are a one of a kind experience. People who have never had them, are extremely lucky and some usually think they are just really bad headaches… wrong answer! I’ve been doing a lot of research lately on Migraines, and the best descriptions so far that I have found says “Migraine is a complex neurological disease that affects your central nervous system…Migraine is caused by abnormal brain chemistry…Migraine is a genetic difference, in most cases inherited from one or both of your parents.” (The Migraine Brain, by Carolyn Bernstein, MD and Elaine McArdle). Here’s a statistic for you from this same book “Thirty million people in the United States get migraines. Almost half have never been diagnosed with migraines, and another 25 percent have been misdiagnosed with other ailments.” And yet here is a sad thing, there aren’t many doctors who specialize in migraines, it’s hard to find a doctor who will adequately treat a patient with migraines.

          So, what’s it like to have a migraine? Well, there are many many different answers out there. I will explain my experience, as everyone is different. First of all, there are many different types of headaches, and there are many different types of migraines. I’m only just starting to crack the surface of learning all this information by reading and researching (my main sources right now are migraine.com and the book The Migraine Brain) I’ve had headaches since I was a child, and apparently I have suffered from migraines since I was at least a teenager, but never realized it. I didn’t start to get treated for migraines until 2012, so I’m a newbie in the migraine treatment world. I get daily headaches, which I used to pop Excedrin like candy, and that worked for me for many years. Though there were times I remember I had to lay in my bedroom in the dark for hours not moving because the pain was so bad. I never realized that I was experiencing a migraine. I always thought it was just a bad tension headache. In 2012 I was put on topomax as a preventative migraine medication, and also given imitrex and maxalt as abortive migraine medications. It was night and day when I used these meds during my so called “severe tension headaches”, and the pain would dissipate. That was when I realized I was dealing with migraines. I do have familial history of migraines, so yes it is genetic in my family. But back to what it’s like, typically I have little to no warning (rarely do I have an aura- auras are flashes of light in the eyes, or zigzag lines in the eyes, etc right before the pain begins), though I’m learning that there are some signs that do occur for me, such as watery eyes, increased irritability, my scalp begins to hurt to the touch, I become sensitive to sound and light, etc. When the pain starts, it’s usually one sided. I have excruciating pain behind one eye (like a screw driver is being shoved into my eyeball with each heart beat), pain in the temple (I tell my husband that I’d love to take a drill to my temple to relieve the pain), severe pain in the upper neck on the same side, and sometimes that pain wraps around the side of my head like a spider web from the neck to the eye. On my worst days, I have nerve pain in my face where I feel like an ax is being shoved into my face and moved down in a straight line from just above my eye down to just below my chin. There is extreme light and sound sensitivity, severe nausea (thankfully I do have medication for that as well, and I’ve been able to keep from vomiting), and all I can do is lay in the dark of my bedroom (with an eyemask over my eyes, ice behind my neck) and lay as still as possible because any movement at all (including moving from side to side in bed) causes extreme pain. The worst is when I am woken up by these migraines without warning. I’ve scared my husband half to death out of sleep and had him run to get me ice, and to fish through my prescriptions in the dark to hand me my medication while I writhe in pain at 3 in the morning. I hate those migraines. I hate any migraines. But I do appreciate some sort of warning, so I can take my “cocktail” before things become too excruciating which currently consists of IB prophen, Tylenol, phenergan (anti-nausea), flexeril (muscle relaxant), maxalt (abortive migraine med) or imitrex, and oxycodone (pain med), ice, and I use essential oils on my neck, forhead, and temples. My last resort tends to be morphine (I use it when I have nerve pain, like in my face, or when I’ve had a migraine for more than 3-4 days straight and the meds I’ve tried aren’t working). I hate morphine, I feel like a zombie for 3 days after taking it, but the relief that comes after suffering so long is an incredible sigh of relief and I am finally able to relax and fall asleep for the first time in days. This is all just a summary of my migraine experience, I know I’m forgetting symptoms and treatments. Why am I writing this? Because lately I’ve been averaging 2-3 migraines a week (or one large migraine a week) for the past 2 months. I know I need to speak to my doctor about it and see what can be changed, because this is just unbarable, and my stomach ulcer is coming back from all the meds I'm taking. But I loathe talking to my doctor about yet another problem. I hate how migraines just ruin your life. I have to cancel scheduled events, blow off good friends because I’m sick in bed all the time, and unable to do everyday mom duties and housework. It’s completely debilitating. I wear sunglasses everywhere I go, and I’ve gotten to the point where I’m so tempted to wear them to church on Sundays, because otherwise I can’t go, the lights hurt my eyes. But I feel so embarrassed to wear sunglasses inside places, especially at church. But I hate missing church on Sundays, it’s my day to show my devotion to my Savior Jesus Christ and I miss it so much whenever I have to stay home.
               So for those reading this, I know many of my friends struggle with migraines and can relate to this post. But if not, and you know someone with migraines, understand that it’s not their fault, it’s a neurological disease in their brain. If you see someone wearing sunglasses inside, they may just be sensitive to light, have a migraine, or trying to keep from getting one. If they cancel an outing with you because they say they have a migraine, be understanding rather than judgemental. Also know that if you see me out and about, it’s not always because I’m having a “good day”, most of the time it’s because I’m well medicated and can function. On Sundays I get a lot of “how are you doing?” or “you must be feeling well since you are here today”, and I recognize that people are trying to be loving and show that they care, but to be honest I never know how to answer those questions because truthfully Sundays are the worst, I tend to crash and burn over the weekend while my husband is home to help me, and I literally drag myself up and medicate to get to church. So no, I’m not usually doing well, I’m just thankful to be there. But thank you for asking!
(I’ve added a few humorous pics I’ve found) enjoy!:







Happy Sunday! Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment