Background

Monday, July 22, 2013

Deer, family Reunion, and I'm still alive... Sort of

This past weekend after my picc line procedure and dr appt Thursday evening for a dressing change, my family got on the road late and started driving towards our family reunion in Utah. I gave myself a dose of glutathione just before leaving, in hopes that it would help me survive the trip. It sure was nice not having to find a vein and give myself an IV. As annoying and sore as a picc line can be, it's very convenient when needed. 

Within the first few hours of our trip we hit a deer on the freeway going about 70 mph, it hit our right front side of the van. My father inlaw kept driving until a little later when we pulled into a well lit gas station where we found the damage to be worse than expected, and the radiator dead. So we were stuck for the night. We slept a few hours in a motel nearby and then by a miracle we were able to rent an SUV with a trailer hitch (we were hauling a trailer) and were able to continue on our journey. It was a VERY long car ride and I took alot of pain and migraine meds to survive. But grateful to my parents for helping get my son and I (and our things) down to Utah to meet up withy husband and spend the weekend with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I admit I put on my "fake" face too much all weekend, and in some ways I see it now as being prideful and selfish, not wanting anyone to see me sick or have to help me. I'm still learning how to accept help, even after all these years of chronic illness, you think I'd learned by now! My husband reminded me that when I am trying to do everything and not let anyone help, that its really hard on him and others in the family who help. Humility is definitely a lifelong lesson for me, right alongside patience. 

So as of now, I am home in my own bed. As soon as I hit my pillow, my body let go and now I feel like I've been hit by a Mack truck, muscles are stiff, joints are burning and sore and I feel like I have a hangover from all the large amounts of big medications I took all weekend to survive. I am on my own this week with my son for the first time in months and My sweet husband has arranged help so I can rest, which I'm extremely grateful for, considering I slept most of today and I know tomorrow and Wednesday will be similar for sure. 

During the reunion my picc line dressing was in the crease of my arm and so irritating, so I asked my sister and mom (both nurses) to change my dressing and reposition it higher on my arm, all while giving my husband a big lesson on how to change sterile dressings, etc. just I'm the 2 days I had my picc dressing into elbow crease, my skin started to break down! 

When I saw that, I felt justified for feeling so sore, bit it was also surprising. My sister did a really nice job and its out of my elbow and already way less irritating, thank you Ran! 

I also have been experimenting with crocheting a cover for my arm. So far, it's either, too big, too short, or the holes are too big... 

I may break down and buy a nice little cover off etsy so I don't have to make it myself. I'm totally into making everything easy right now. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment