Background

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

PICC Line

Life with Lyme sure can be whiplash. I saw my Dr last week and he was happy with my progress, but we also discussed my concerns and problems I was continuing to have. So, many meds and supplements were changed. It's really embarrassing to go to the pharmacy and pick up 7 prescriptions in one day, after picking up 6 prescriptions less than a week before. Of course, one of the changes was an antibiotic, and we are having to slowly start from scratch and increase the dose, which is causing herxheimer (die off) reactions. They are mild, but still no fun. I ran out of glutathione this last week (and waiting for it to arrive in the mail) and so it made things even worse to the point that I went back in to the office today to have them give me IV glut in office because I was feeling so terrible. My dr saw me in the waiting room and took one look at me seeing how much I had changed (good to bad) in just a week. We talked about how I can only go a few days without IV glutathione and that it's getting harder and harder to stick myself, and that my veins are not healing fast enough. We discussed how the body is supposed to naturally produce glutathione on it's own, but some people have a mutated gene, last week I had a DNA analysis to see if I have the mutated gene that would be keeping my body from producing glutathione on its own, we are still awaiting results. In the meantime, I was put on a supplement called Methyl-gaurd that is supposed to help my body produce Glutathione. I told him I had increased the dose over the week and hadn't seen any improvement. It was then that he decided a picc line would be the next best option for me. It will make giving myself glutathione easier, and if we eventually go to IV antibiotics, there will already be a line in place. I politely told him I was leaving for Idaho on thursday and he muttered under his breath "shit", and then nicely made phone calls to try to get me into a the radiology clinic as fast as possible. So I have an appointment on thursday to have a picc line placed in my arm before I leave town. I'm nervous, I don't know what to expect and I worry about keeping it clean and keeping it from infection. But I know it's for the best right now. I just hope I can get the procedure done, a dr appointment in the evening to have a dressing change and learn from my doctor how to properly change the dressing site, and then leave for our road trip and ride all night back to Idaho and not have too much repercussion from the trip or the procedure. I just keep reminding myself to be strong, keep fighting, I can do this! I have to do this for my little family because they need me! and I love them more than anything in this world!

1 comment:

  1. Love methyl-guard (sarcastically, ha.) Good luck with your PICC line!!

    ReplyDelete