Background

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Power of Music

The following is a post I wrote over a week ago, but wasn't able to post it till now:

I have always loved music. I remember hearing stories of how I'd walk around the house singing. My dad said he always knew I was happy whenever he heard me singing. I played in the school band from 5-9th grade, and most, if not all of my siblings were big on listening to music. My mom and dad both love music, it's just always been around me growing up. So when I met my husband who likes music but it's not important to him or a passion of his, I was floored. I thought "what? how can you not LOVE music? I thought everybody loves music like I do" You know those times when a song just hits you, you feel as if the words were written just for you, you feel the beat and rhythm through your bones and you just want to listen to that song over and over again because it expresses how you feel at that very moment in time. I listen to music when I'm happy, sad, need a boost, need to feel more relaxed, when i'm missing a loved one, etc. Singing songs to my little boy at night is my favorite part of bedtime, and I just love hearing him sing around the house during the day, just as my dad said he knew i was happy when I was singing, I know my little boy is happy when he's singing. I love to drive in the car by myself with whatever music i feel like listening to at that moment (mp3 players hooked to the car stereo is awesome). My music collection is huge and spans from oldies like the Beach Boys, to songs from the 80's, 90's, 00's, church music, christian music, christian rock music, country, classical, music from movie soundtracks, you name it, its probably there. So lately I've been trying to figure out why music is so important to me? And after much thought I realized that it is my way of expressing how I'm feeling at that moment in time without having to say anything at all. It's my own self therapy. So when I have days like lately where I feel down and hopeless as if this current trial is never going to end, I put my headphones on and pick a song that fits how i feel, or a song that I know will boost my spirit and it always seems to help even if it's just a little. So today I am grateful for the gift and talent of music and singing, I know not everyone has it, I'm glad I do. It's been a true blessing in my life and the life of my family. The following are a few favorite quotes I found on Pinterest recently that also describe my love for music so well:




 
 
So don't be surprised if I have a post here and there about a particular song and it's lyrics, I LOVE MUSIC!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment